January 17 1861 Thursday
Georgia. The Georgia state convention met, and received Commissioners from South Carolina and Alabama.
Kentucky. The Kentucky state legislature met.
Virginia. The Virginia state legislature passed resolutions proposing the Crittenden Resolutions as the basis for adjustment of relations between the states. The Virginians requested the US Government to avoid any violent collision with the Southern states. Virginia Governor John Letcher communicated resolutions from the New York state legislature, expressing the utmost disdain for its contents, and saying that “the threat conveyed can inspire no terror in free men.” The resolutions were directed to be returned unanswered to the Governor of New York.
Commander in Chief: President James Buchanan
Vice-President: John Cabell Breckinridge
Secretary of War: Joseph Holt
Secretary of the Navy: Isaac Toucey
- African Squadron USN: Captain William Inman USN
- Brazil Squadron USN: Captain Joshua R Sands USN.
- East Indian (Asiatic) Squadron USN: Captain Cornelius K Stribling USN
- European Squadron USN: vacant
- Home Squadron USN: Captain Garrett J Prendergast USN
- Mediterranean Squadron USN: Captain Charles H Bell USN
- Pacific Squadron USN: Captain John B Montgomery USN
General–in-Chief: Winfield Scott
- Department of the Pacific: Albert Sidney Johnston
- District of Oregon: George Wright
- Department of the East: John Ellis Wool
- Department of New Mexico: Thomas Turner Fauntleroy
- Department of Texas: David Emanuel Twiggs
- Department of Utah: Philip St George Cooke
- Department of the West: William Selby Harney
John Ellis Wool
David Emanuel Twiggs
William Selby Harney
Brigadier-General USA (Staff)
Joseph Eggleston Johnston