Updated so far to September 30th 1863 – and, coming soon… the rest of 1863, 1864 and 1865 – so please come back!
- The Strategic Context
- The Strategic Challenge for the Union
- The Strategic Challenge for the Confederacy
- 1861 Chronology, Day by Day
- 1862 Chronology, Day by Day
- 1863 Chronology, Day by Day
- 1864 Chronology, Day by Day
- 1865 Chronology, Day by Day
- Appendix: Populations
- Appendix: Major Campaigns and Battles
- Appendix: List of Campaigns, Operations, and Raids listed in Chronologies
- Appendix: Reading the Chronology Day by Day
Chronology Day by Day has an entry for every day from 1st January 1861 to 31st August 1865, with a summary to 31st December 1865.
Each daily chronology lists the date and day; major incidents occurring on that day; major campaigns and operations ongoing at the time; as well as political and military events and incidents of international, national, state, and territorial importance.
It reports changes to the status of major commands and their commanders, as well as appointments, promotions, etc of generals officers.
It lists the current Organisational tree of major territorial commands down to Sub-District level and field commands down to Corps level, with their current commanders, making it possible to follow the evolution of each side’s high command structure.
There is a list of general officers for each side with their grade, date of appointment, and current status. This list of generals, day by day, makes it possible to assess the seniority and rank of each general, and to follow the progression and evolution of the high command.
The Chronology is designed to give a daily status quo but it is possible to read the timeline of events to follow the progress of particular campaigns, commanders and organisations.