February 13 1861 Wednesday
Adoption of the Provisional Constitution of the Confederate States
USA. The election of Abraham Lincoln as US President and Hannibal Hamlin as Vice-President were confirmed by the United States’ Electoral College, despite the absence of most of the Southern members.
CSA. The Confederate Provisional Government adopted the provisional Constitution of the Confederate States of America.
North Carolina. The North Carolina state legislature publicly received commissioners from Georgia.
Virginia. The Virginia State Convention met to discuss matters of secession.
Commander in Chief: President James Buchanan
Vice-President: John Cabell Breckinridge
Secretary of War: Joseph Holt
Secretary of the Navy: Isaac Toucey
- African Squadron USN: Captain William Inman USN
- Brazil Squadron USN: Captain Joshua R Sands USN.
- East Indian (Asiatic) Squadron USN: Captain Cornelius K Stribling USN
- European Squadron USN: vacant
- Home Squadron USN: Captain Garrett J Prendergast USN
- Mediterranean Squadron USN: Captain Charles H Bell USN
- Pacific Squadron USN: Captain John B Montgomery USN
General–in-Chief: Winfield Scott
- Department of the Pacific: Albert Sidney Johnston
- District of Oregon: George Wright
- Department of the East: John Ellis Wool
- Department of New Mexico: Thomas Turner Fauntleroy
- Department of Texas: David Emanuel Twiggs
- Department of Utah: Philip St George Cooke
- Department of the West: William Selby Harney
President: Thomas Howell Cobb (interim)
Vice-President: Alexander Hamilton Stephens
John Ellis Wool
David Emanuel Twiggs
William Selby Harney
Brigadier-General USA (Staff)
Joseph Eggleston Johnston