Union Military Organisations: Capital and North-Eastern Theatre

Union Military Organisations: Capital and North-Eastern Theatre

Index

Military Division of the Atlantic

Department of Annapolis, Maryland

Department of the East #1

Department of the East #2

Department of Maryland

Department of the Monongahela

Department of New England

Department of New York

Department of Pennsylvania #1

Department of Pennsylvania #2

Department of the Susquehanna

Department of Washington, District of Columbia #1

Department of Washington, District of Columbia #2

District of Annapolis, Maryland

District of the Brandywine, Pennsylvania

District of Delaware

District of Delaware and the Eastern Shore of Maryland

District of the Eastern Shore of Maryland

Juniata District, Pennsylvania

Lehigh District Pennsylvania

District of the Monongahela, Pennsylvania

District of Northern New York

District of Western New York

District of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

District of St Mary’s, Maryland

District of Washington, District of Columbia #1

District of Washington, District of Columbia #2

IX Corps Washington

XXII Corps Washington

Military Division of the Atlantic

27 June 1865-31 December 1865

George Gordon Meade 27 June 1865-31 December 1865

27 June 1865: The Military Division of the Atlantic was established. It included the Department of the East, the Department of Virginia, the Department of North Carolina, the Department of South Carolina, and the Middle Department.

27 June 1865: Major-General George Gordon Meade was appointed to command the Military Division of the Atlantic, arriving on 1 July 1865.

27 June 1865: The Army of the Potomac transferred from the Department of the Potomac to the Military Division of the Atlantic.

27 June 1865: The Department of South Carolina was established and subordinated to the Military Division of the Atlantic.

27 June 1865: The Department of the East was subordinated to the Military Division of the Atlantic.

27 June 1865: The Middle Department transferred from the Middle Military Division to the Military Division of the Atlantic.

27 June 1865: The Department of North Carolina transferred from the Military Division of the Mississippi to the Military Division of the Atlantic.

27 June 1865: The Department of Virginia transferred from the Military Division of the James to the Military Division of the Atlantic

27 June 1865: The Department of Washington transferred from the Middle Military Division to the Military Division of the Atlantic.

28 June 1865: The Army of the Potomac was discontinued.

28 June 1865: The Army of the James transferred from the Department of Virginia to the Military Division of the Atlantic.

1 July 1865: Major-General George Gordon Meade arrived to command the Military Division of the Atlantic.

1 August 1865: The Army of the James was discontinued.

Department of Annapolis, Maryland

27 April 1861-19 July 1861

Benjamin Franklin Butler 27 April 1861-15 May 1861

George Cadwalader 27 April 1861-15 May 1861

John Adams Dix 16 May 1861-31 May 1861 interim 10 June 1861

Nathaniel Prentiss Banks 1 June 1861-19 July 1861

27 April 1861: The Department of Annapolis was established to include the counties 20 miles each side of the Baltimore and Washington railroad from Annapolis as far as Bladensburg, Maryland.

27 April 1861: Massachusetts State Brigadier-General Benjamin Franklin Butler was appointed to command the Department of Annapolis but did not arrive to take command.

15 May 1861: Pennsylvania State Major-General George Cadwalader assumed command of the Department of Annapolis, succeeding Major-General Benjamin Franklin Butler who had not assumed command.

16 May 1861: Major-General John Adams Dix assumed command of the Department of Annapolis, succeeding State Major-General George Cadwalader.

1 June 1861: Major-General Nathaniel Prentiss Banks was appointed to command the Department of Annapolis, arriving on 11 June 1861, succeeding Major-General John Adams Dix.

11 June 1861: Major-General Nathaniel Prentiss Banks arrived to command the Department of Annapolis, succeeding Major-General John Adams Dix.

19 July 1861: The Department of Annapolis was discontinued, and reorganised as the Department of Maryland.

Department of the East #1

1 January 1861-26 October 1861

John Ellis Wool 1 January 1861-26 October 1861

1 January 1861: The Department of the East included all of the United States east of the Mississippi River. Headquarters were at New York.

1 January 1861: The Department of the East was commanded by Brigadier-General USA John Ellis Wool.

9 April 1861: The Department of Washington was established, comprising the original boundaries of the District of Columbia including Alexandria County, Virginia, and the state of Maryland as far south as Bladensburg, taken from the Department of the East.

13 April 1861: The Department of Florida was established with headquarters at Fort Pickens, comprising the state of Florida taken from the Department of the East.

19 April 1861: The states of Pennsylvania and Delaware transferred from the Department of the East to the Department of Washington.

27 April 1861: The Department of Washington was extended to include the District of Columbia, and Maryland as far as Fort Washington and Bladensburg, Maryland, taken from the Department of the East.

3 May 1861: The Department of the Ohio was established, comprising Illinois, Ohio and Indiana taken from the Department of the East.

8 May 1861: The parts of Pennsylvania and Virginia north of the Kanawha River, north and west of the Greenbrier River and thence on a line northwest to the southwest boundary of Maryland transferred from the Department of the East to the Department of the Ohio.

9 May 1861: The Department of the Ohio was extended to include the parts of Pennsylvania and Virginia north of the Kanawha River and west of the Greenbrier River, and on a line drawn from the Greenbrier River to the southwest corner of Maryland, then to the Pennsylvania border and to the northeast corner of McKean county, Pennsylvania, to its existing territory of Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana. These territories were detached from the Department of the East and the Department of Pennsylvania.

22 May 1861: The Department of Virginia was established with headquarters at Fortress Monroe, comprising the territory of Virginia within sixty miles of Fort Monroe, detached from the Department of the East. It also assumed authority over any territories of North Carolina and South Carolina to be occupied by Union forces.

27 May 1861: The Department of Northeastern Virginia was established, comprising the part of Virginia east of the Allegheny Mountains and north of the James River, and west of the existing Department of Virginia within sixty miles of Fort Monroe. Its territory was detached from the Department of the East.

28 May 1861: The Department of Kentucky was established, comprising that territory of the state within 100 miles of the Ohio River, detached from the Department of the East.

19 July 1861: The Department of the Shenandoah was established, comprising the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, taken from the Department of the East. The remainder of Kentucky and the state of Tennessee not already assigned were detached from the Department of the East and assigned to the Department of the Shenandoah.

17 August 1861: Command of the Department of the East became vacant until it was formally discontinued on 26 October 1861.

19 September 1861: The Department of Western Virginia was established, comprising Virginia west of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Its territory was taken from the Department of the East and the Department of the Ohio.

1 October 1861: The Department of New England was established, comprising the states of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut detached from the Department of the East.

26 October 1861: The Department of the East was discontinued.

Department of the East #2

3 January 1863-31 December 1865

Vacant 3 January 1863-11 January 1863

John Ellis Wool 12 January 1863-17 July 1863

John Adams Dix 18 July 1863-9 April 1865

John James Peck temporary 10 April 1865-18 April 1865

John Adams Dix 19 April 1865-15 July 1865

Joseph Hooker 15 July 1865-31 December 1865

3 January 1863: The Department of the East was re-established comprising the states of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut transferred from local control, and New York taken from the discontinued Department of New York.

3 January 1863: Major-General John Ellis Wool was appointed to command Department of the East, arriving on 12 January 1863.

12 January 1863: Major-General John Ellis Wool arrived to command the Department of the East.

6 February 1863: The state of New Jersey transferred from the Middle Department to the Department of the East.

18 July 1863: Major-General John Adams Dix assumed command of the Department of the East, succeeding Major-General John Ellis Wool.

14 September 1864: The District of Northern New York was established in the Department of the East, comprising Albany, Sacket’s Harbor, Ogdensburg and Champlain, New York.

10 April 1865: Major-General John James Peck assumed temporary command of the Department of the East, succeeding Major-General John Adams Dix.

19 April 1865: Major-General John Adams Dix assumed command of the Department of the East, succeeding Major-General John James Peck.

27 June 1865: The District of Northern New York was discontinued.

27 June 1865: The Department of the East transferred to the Military Division of the Atlantic.

27 June 1865: Major-General John Adams Dix retained command of the Department of the East.

15 July 1865: Major-General Joseph Hooker assumed command of the Department of the East, succeeding Major-General John Adams Dix.

14 September 1865: The District of Western New York was re-established in the Department of the East. It comprised Elmira, Rochester, Fort Ontario, Fort Niagara and Fort Porter counties in New York.

Department of Maryland

19 July 1861-25 July 1861

John Adams Dix 19 July 1861-25 July 1861

19 July 1861: The Department of Maryland was established, comprising the counties ten miles each side of the Baltimore and Washington railroad from Annapolis as far as Bladensburg, Maryland.

19 July 1861: Major-General John Adams Dix was appointed to command the Department of Maryland, arriving on 23 July 1861.

23 July 1861: Major-General John Adams Dix arrived to command the Department of Maryland.

25 July 1861: The Department of Maryland was discontinued, and incorporated into the Department of Pennsylvania. All the parts of Pennsylvania in the Department of Maryland transferred to the Department of Pennsylvania.

Department of the Monongahela

9 June 1863-6 April 1864

Thomas Algeo Rowley 27 June 1864-7 August 1864

William Thomas Harbaugh Brooks 9 June 1863-6 April 1864

9 June 1863: The Department of the Monongahela was established, with headquarters at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, comprising Pennsylvania west of Johnstown and the Laurel Hill mountains, the counties of Hancock, Brooke and Ohio in the West Virginia “panhandle”, and the Ohio counties of Columbiana, Jefferson and Belmont. These territories transferred from the Middle Department and the Department of the Ohio.

9 June 1863: Columbiana, Jefferson and Belmont counties, Ohio, transferred from the District of Ohio in the Department of the Ohio to the Department of the Monongahela.

9 June 1863: Major-General William Thomas Harbaugh Brooks was appointed to command the Department of the Monongahela, arriving on 11 June 1863.

9 June 1863: Major-General William Thomas Harbaugh Brooks arrived to command the Department of the Monongahela.

12 October 1863: Hancock, Brooke and Ohio counties in West Virginia transferred from the Department of the Monongahela to the Department of West Virginia.

12 October 1863: The counties of Columbiana, Belmont and Jefferson in Ohio transferred from the Department of the Monongahela to the Department of West Virginia.

6 April 1864: The Department of the Monongahela was discontinued, and its territory allocated to the Department of the Susquehanna.

Department of New England

1 October 1861-20 February 1862

Benjamin Franklin Butler 1 October 1861-20 February 1862

1 October 1861: The Department of New England was established, comprising the states of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, detached from the Department of the East. Headquarters was at Boston, Massachusetts.

1 October 1861: Major-General Benjamin Franklin Butler was appointed to command the Department of New England, arriving on 6 October 1861.

6 October 1861: Major-General Benjamin Franklin Butler arrived to command the Department of New England.

20 February 1862: The Department of New England was discontinued, and the six states of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut reverted to local control.

Department of New York

26 October 1861-3 January 1863

Edward Denison Morgan 26 October 1861-31 December 1862

Vacant 1 January 1863-3 January 1863

26 October 1861: The Department of New York was established, with responsibility for the remaining territory of the discontinued Department of the East, with headquarters at Albany.

26 October 1861: Major-General Edwin Denison Morgan, Governor of New York, assumed command of the Department of New York.

9 November 1861: The state of Michigan transferred from the former Department from the East to the Department of the Ohio.

1 February 1862: The state of New Jersey transferred from the Department of New York to the Department of the Potomac.

1 February 1862: The state of Pennsylvania was incorporated into the Department of the Potomac.

1 January 1863: Command of the Department of New York became vacant.

3 January 1863: The Department of New York was discontinued, and the state of New York transferred to the Department of the East.

Department of Pennsylvania #1

27 April 1861-17 August 1861

Robert Patterson 27 April 1861-25 July 1861

John Adams Dix 25 July 1861-17 August 1861

27 April 1861: The Department of Pennsylvania was established with headquarters at Philadelphia, comprising Pennsylvania, Delaware, and parts of Maryland not in the Department of Washington and the Department of Annapolis. Pennsylvania and Delaware transferred from the Department of Washington to the Department of Pennsylvania.

27 April 1861: Pennsylvania State Major-General Robert Patterson assumed command of the Department of Pennsylvania.

9 May 1861: The Department of the Ohio was extended to include the parts of Pennsylvania and Virginia north of the Kanawha River and west of the Greenbrier River, and on a line drawn from the Greenbrier River to the southwest corner of Maryland, then to the Pennsylvania border and to the northeast corner of McKean county, Pennsylvania, to its existing territory of Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana. These territories were detached from the Department of the East and the Department of Pennsylvania.

2 June 1861: The Army of the Shenandoah also known unofficially as the “Army of Pennsylvania” was established in the Department of Pennsylvania.

25 July 1861: Prince George’s, Montgomery and Frederick counties of Maryland transferred from the Department of Pennsylvania to the Department of Washington.

25 July 1861: Washington and Allegheny counties of Maryland transferred from the Department of Pennsylvania to the Department of the Shenandoah.

25 July 1861: The Department of Maryland was discontinued, and incorporated into the Department of Pennsylvania.

25 July 1861: All the parts of Pennsylvania in the Department of the Ohio transferred to the Department of Pennsylvania.

25 July 1861: All the parts of Pennsylvania in the Department of Maryland transferred to the Department of Pennsylvania

25 July 1861: Major-General John Adams Dix assumed command of the Department of Pennsylvania, succeeding State Major-General Robert Patterson.

17 August 1861: The Army of the Shenandoah was discontinued, and its forces transferred to the Army of the Potomac.

17 August 1861: The Department of Pennsylvania was discontinued, and incorporated into the Department of the Potomac. The state of Pennsylvania remained under state command.

Department of Pennsylvania #2

1 December 1864-27 June 1865

George Cadwalader 1 December 1864-27 June 1865

1 December 1864: The Department of Pennsylvania was established in the Middle Military Division, comprising the state of Pennsylvania and the counties of Columbiana, Belmont and Jefferson counties of Ohio.

1 December 1864: Major-General George Cadwalader assumed command of the Department of Pennsylvania.

1 December 1864: The District of Philadelphia was established in the Department of Pennsylvania.

1 December 1864: The District of the Monongahela transferred from the Department of the Susquehanna to the Department of Pennsylvania.

15 June 1865: The District of Philadelphia was discontinued.

27 June 1865: Juniata District was discontinued.

27 June 1865: The District of the Monongahela was discontinued.

27 June 1865: The Department of Pennsylvania was discontinued, and its territory incorporated into the Middle Department and the Department of the Ohio.

Department of the Susquehanna

9 June 1863-1 December 1864

Darius Nash Couch 9 June 1863-1 December 1864

9 June 1863: The Department of the Susquehanna was established with headquarters at Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. The territory of authority comprised Pennsylvania east of Johnstown and the Laurel Hill Mountains transferred from the Middle Department.

9 June 1863: Major-General Darius Nash Couch was appointed to command the Department of the Susquehanna, arriving on 11 June 1863.

11 June 1863: Major-General Darius Nash Couch arrived to command the Department of the Susquehanna.

20 August 1863: Lehigh District was established in the Department of the Susquehanna, comprising the counties of Berks, Lehigh, Schuylkill, Northampton, Carbon, Monroe, Luzerne, and Columbia counties in Pennsylvania.

6 April 1864: The Department of the Monongahela was discontinued, and its territory allocated to the Department of the Susquehanna.

27 June 1864: The District of the Monongahela was established in the Department of the Susquehanna, comprising the state of Pennsylvania west of Laurel Hill and Columbiana, Belmont, and Jefferson counties in Ohio.

31 July 1864: The District of Brandywine was established in the Department of the Susquehanna, comprising the territory between the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Susquehanna River and Dauphine, Lancaster, Chester, Delaware, Bucks, Philadelphia and Montgomery counties, Pennsylvania.

7 August 1864: The Department of the Susquehanna transferred to the Middle Military Division.

7 August 1864: Major-General Darius Nash Couch retained command of the Department of the Susquehanna.

18 August 1864: The District of Brandywine was discontinued.

6 September 1864: Juniata District was established in the Department of the Susquehanna, comprising the line of the Williamsport & Elmira Railroad, along the Susquehanna River to the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Maryland State Line; Adams, Cumberland, Franklin and York counties and the Laurel Hill mountains extending north to Johnstown.

1 December 1864: The District of the Monongahela transferred from the Department of the Susquehanna to the Department of Pennsylvania.

1 December 1864: Juniata District transferred from the Department of the Susquehanna to the Department of Pennsylvania.

1 December 1864: Lehigh District was discontinued.

1 December 1864: The Department of the Susquehanna was discontinued, and its territory transferred to the Department of Pennsylvania.

Department of Washington, District of Columbia #1

9 April 1861-17 August 1861

Charles Ferguson Smith 9 April 1861-21 April 1861

Robert Patterson 22 April 1861-26 April 1861 interim 27 April 1861

Joseph King Fenno Mansfield 27 April 1861-17 August 1861

9 April 1861: The Department of Washington was established, comprising the original boundaries of the District of Columbia including Alexandria County, Virginia and the state of Maryland as far south as Bladensburg, taken from the Department of the East.

9 April 1861: Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Ferguson Smith was appointed to command the Department of Washington, arriving on 10 April 1861.

9 April 1861: Colonel Charles W Sandford took de facto temporary command of all field forces on the Virginia side of the Potomac River.

10 April 1861: Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Ferguson Smith arrived to command the Department of Washington.

19 April 1861: The states of Pennsylvania and Delaware transferred from the Department of the East to the Department of Washington.

22 April 1861: Pennsylvania State Major-General Robert Patterson assumed command of the Department of Washington.

27 April 1861: The Department of Washington was extended to include the District of Columbia, and Maryland as far as Fort Washington and Bladensburg, Maryland. Pennsylvania and Delaware transferred from the Department of Washington to the Department of Pennsylvania.

27 April 1861: Colonel Joseph King Fenno Mansfield was appointed to command the Department of Washington, arriving on 28 April 1861.

28 April 1861: Colonel Joseph King Fenno Mansfield arrived to assume command of the Department of Washington, succeeding Pennsylvania State Major-General Robert Patterson.

25 July 1861: Prince George’s, Montgomery and Frederick counties of Maryland transferred from the Department of Pennsylvania to the Department of Washington.

25 July 1861: The Department of Washington transferred to the Military Division of the Potomac.

25 July 1861: Brigadier-General Joseph King Fenno Mansfield retained command of the Department of Washington.

17 August 1861: The Department of Washington was discontinued, and incorporated into the Department of the Potomac.

Department of Washington, District of Columbia #2

2 February 1863-31 December 1865

Samuel Peter Heintzelman 2 February 1862-13 October 1863

Christopher Columbus Augur 13 October 1863-7 June 1865

John Grubb Parke temporary 7 June 1865-26 June 1865

Christopher Columbus Augur 26 June 1865-31 December 1865

2 February 1863: The Department of Washington was established, comprising the country north of the Potomac River in Maryland from Piscataway Creek to Annapolis Junction, to the mouth of the Monocacy River and south by Goose Creek and the mouth of the Bull Run Mountains to the mouth of the Occoquan Creek, transferred from the Military District of Washington and the Department of the Potomac.

2 February 1863: Major-General Samuel Peter Heintzelman was appointed to command the Department of Washington, arriving on 7 February 1863.

2 February 1863: XXII Corps Washington was established in the Department of Washington.

2 February 1863: The District of Alexandria was established in the Department of Washington.

2 February 1863: The District of Washington was established in the Department of Washington.

7 February 1863: Major-General Samuel Peter Heintzelman arrived to command the Department of Washington.

13 October 1863: Major-General Christopher Columbus Augur assumed command of the Department of Washington, succeeding Major-General Samuel Peter Heintzelman.

21 June 1864: St Mary’s county, Maryland, transferred from the Department of Virginia and North Carolina to the Department of Washington.

21 June 1864: The part of Maryland between the Potomac and Patuxent Rivers transferred from the Department of the Potomac to the Department of Washington.

7 July 1864: The District of St Mary’s transferred from the Department of Virginia and North Carolina to the Department of Washington. It comprised the county of St Mary’s in Maryland and the Point Lookout prison camp.

7 August 1864: The Department of Washington transferred to the Middle Military Division.

7 August 1864: Major-General Christopher Columbus Augur retained command of the Department of Washington.

24 April 1865: IX Corps Potomac transferred from the Army of the Potomac to the Department of Washington.

26 April 1865: The District of Patuxent was established in the Department of Washington.

26 April 1865: The District of the Northern Neck was established in the Department of Washington.

26 April 1865: The District of Washington was reorganised to include the part of the Department of Washington north of the Potomac River except the city of Washington and the territory between the Potomac and Patuxent Rivers south of the Piscataway River.

18 May 1865: The District of the Northern Neck was discontinued, and its territory transferred to the District of Washington.

18 May 1865: The District of Patuxent was discontinued.

7 June 1865: Major-General John Grubb Parke assumed temporary command of the Department of Washington., succeeding Major-General Christopher Columbus Augur.

26 June 1865: Major-General Christopher Columbus Augur assumed command of the Department of Washington, succeeding Major-General John Grubb Parke.

26 June 1865: XXII Corps Washington was discontinued.

27 June 1865: The Department of Washington transferred from the Middle Military Division to the Military Division of the Atlantic. It was redefined to comprise the District of Columbia, Montgomery county, that part of Anne Arundel county south of the Annapolis & Elkridge Railroad including Annapolis and Prince George’s, Calvert, Charles and St Mary’s counties in Maryland, and Alexandria and Fairfax counties in Virginia. These territories were taken from the Middle Department, the Department of the Potomac, and the Department of Washington.

27 June 1865: Major-General Christopher Columbus Augur retained command of the Department of Washington.

27 June 1865: The District of Alexandria was discontinued.

27 July 1865: IX Corps Washington was discontinued.

2 August 1865: The District of Washington was discontinued.

District of Annapolis, Maryland

1 April 1865-19 July 1865

Frederic Dummer Sewall 1 April 1865-19 July 1865

1 April 1865: The District of Annapolis was established in the Middle Department. It comprised the territory around Annapolis, Maryland, and Camp Parole.

1 April 1865: Colonel Frederic Dummer Sewall assumed command of the District of Annapolis.

19 July 1865: The District of Annapolis was discontinued

District of the Brandywine, Pennsylvania

31 July 1864-7 August 1864

George Cadwalader 31 July 1864-18 August 1864

31 July 1864: The District of Brandywine was established in the Department of the Susquehanna, comprising the territory between the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Susquehanna River and Dauphine, Lancaster, Chester, Delaware, Bucks, Philadelphia and Montgomery counties, Pennsylvania.

31 July 1864: Major-General George Cadwalader assumed command of the District of Brandywine.

18 August 1864: The District of Brandywine was discontinued.

District of Delaware

3 July 1863-24 March 1865

Daniel Tyler 3 July 1863-19 January 1864

Henry Bethel Judd temporary 19 January 1864-4 April 1864

John Reese Kenly 4 April 1864-20 July 1864

Henry Hayes Lockwood 20 July 1864-20 August 1864

Samuel M Bowman 20 August 1864-24 March 1865

3 July 1863: The District of Delaware was established in the Middle Department, comprising the state of Delaware.

3 July 1863: Brigadier-General Daniel Tyler assumed command of the District of Delaware.

19 January 1864: Major Henry Bethel Judd assumed temporary command of the District of Delaware, succeeding Brigadier-General Daniel Tyler.

12 March 1864: Fort Delaware was detached from the District of Delaware Middle Department to independent command under the War Department.

4 April 1864: Brigadier-General John Reese Kenly assumed command of the District of Delaware, succeeding Major Henry Bethel Judd.

20 July 1864: Brigadier-General Henry Hayes Lockwood assumed command of the District of Delaware, succeeding Brigadier-General John Reese Kenly.

20 August 1864: Colonel Samuel M Bowman assumed command of the District of Delaware, succeeding Brigadier-General Henry Hayes Lockwood.

24 March 1865: The District of Delaware was discontinued, and incorporated into the District of Delaware and the Eastern Shore.

District of Delaware and the Eastern Shore of Maryland

24 March 1865-1 August 1865

John Reese Kenly 24 March 1865-5 June 1865

John Moulder Wilson 5 June 1865-1 August 1865

24 March 1865: The District of Delaware and the Eastern Shore was established in the Middle Department. It included the territory formerly in the District of Delaware and the District of the Eastern Shore of Maryland.

24 March 1865: Brigadier-General John Reese Kenly assumed command of the District of Delaware and the Eastern Shore.

5 June 1865: Lieutenant-Colonel John Moulder Wilson assumed temporary command of the District of Delaware and the Eastern Shore, succeeding Brigadier-General John Reese Kenly.

1 August 1865: The District of Delaware and the Eastern Shore was discontinued.

District of the Eastern Shore of Maryland

22 March 1862-24 March 1865

Henry Hayes Lockwood 22 March 1862-5 January 1865

John Reese Kenly 5 January 1865-24 March 1865

22 March 1862: The District of the Eastern Shore of Maryland was established in the Middle Department.

22 March 1862: Brigadier-General Henry Hayes Lockwood assumed command of the District of the Eastern Shore of Maryland.

5 January 1865: Brigadier-General John Reese Kenly assumed command of the District of the Eastern Shore of Maryland, succeeding Brigadier-General Henry Hayes Lockwood.

24 March 1865: The District of the Eastern Shore of Maryland was discontinued, and incorporated into the District of Delaware and the Eastern Shore.

Juniata District, Pennsylvania

6 September 1864-27 June 1865

Orris Sanford Ferry 6 September 1864-16 December 1864

Charles Hale Morgan 16 December 1864-27 June 1865

6 September 1864: Juniata District was established in the Department of the Susquehanna, comprising the line of the Williamsport & Elmira Railroad, along the Susquehanna River to the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Maryland State Line; Adams, Cumberland, Franklin and York counties and the Laurel Hill mountains extending north to Johnstown.

6 September 1864: Brigadier-General Orris Sanford Ferry assumed command of Juniata District.

1 December 1864: Juniata District transferred from the Department of the Susquehanna to the Department of Pennsylvania.

1 December 1864: Brigadier-General Orris Sanford Ferry retained command of Juniata District.

16 December 1864: Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Hale Morgan assumed command of Juniata District, succeeding Brigadier-General Orris Sanford Ferry.

27 June 1865: Juniata District was discontinued.

Lehigh District Pennsylvania

20 August 1863-1 December 1864

Franz Sigel 20 August 1863-9 November 1864

Thomas Scott Mather 9 November 1864-1 December 1864

20 August 1863: Lehigh District was established in the Department of the Susquehanna, comprising the counties of Berks, Lehigh, Schuylkill, Northampton, Carbon, Monroe, Luzerne, and Columbia counties in Pennsylvania.

20 August 1863: Major-General Franz Sigel was assigned to command Lehigh District, although de facto command was exercised by Brigadier-General Orris Sanford Ferry.

9 November 1864: Colonel Thomas Scott Mather assumed command of Lehigh District, succeeding Major-General Franz Sigel.

1 December 1864: Lehigh District was discontinued.

District of the Monongahela, Pennsylvania

27 June 1864-27 June 1865

Thomas Algeo Rowley 27 June 1864-29 December 1864

Greenlief P Davis 29 December 1864-27 June 1865

27 June 1864: District of the Monongahela was established in the Department of the Susquehanna, comprising the state of Pennsylvania west of Laurel Hill and Columbiana, Belmont and Jefferson counties in Ohio.

27 June 1864: Brigadier-General Thomas Algeo Rowley assumed command of the District of the Monongahela.

1 December 1864: The District of the Monongahela transferred from the Department of the Susquehanna to the Department of Pennsylvania. It consisted of the state of Pennsylvania west of laurel Hill and the counties of Columbiana, Belmont and Jefferson in Ohio.

1 December 1864: Brigadier-General Thomas Algeo Rowley retained command of the District of the Monongahela.

29 December 1864: Captain Greenlief P Davis assumed command of the District of the Monongahela, succeeding Brigadier-General Thomas Algeo Rowley.

27 June 1865: The District of the Monongahela was discontinued.

District of Northern New York

14 September 1864-27 June 1865

John Cleveland Robinson 14 September 1864-27 June 1865

14 September 1864: The District of Northern New York was established in the Department of the East, comprising Albany, Sacket’s Harbor, Ogdensburg and Champlain, New York.

14 September 1864: Brigadier-General John Cleveland Robinson assumed command of the District of Northern New York.

27 June 1865: The District of Northern New York was discontinued.

District of Western New York

14 September 1865-31 December 1865

Alexander Samuel Diven 14 September 1865-31 December 1865

14 September 1865: The District of Western New York was established in the Department of the East. It comprised Elmira, Rochester, Fort Ontario, Fort Niagara and Fort Porter counties in New York.

14 September 1865: Colonel Alexander Samuel Diven assumed command of the District of Western New York.

District of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

1 December 1864-15 June 1865

George Cadwalader 1 December 1864-16 December 1864

Orris Sanford Ferry 16 December 1864-15 June 1865

1 December 1864: The District of Philadelphia was established in the Department of Pennsylvania. It comprised Philadelphia and the counties of Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery counties of Pennsylvania.

1 December 1864: Major-General George Cadwalader assumed command of the District of Philadelphia.

16 December 1864: Brigadier-General Orris Sanford Ferry assumed command of the District of Philadelphia, succeeding Major-General George Cadwalader.

15 June 1865: The District of Philadelphia was discontinued.

District of St Mary’s, Maryland

23 July 1863-26 April 1865

Gilman Marston 23 July 1863-2 April 1864

Edward Winslow Hinks 3 April 1864-19 April 1864

Alonzo Granville Draper 20 April 1864-7 July 1864

James Barnes 7 July 1864-26 April 1865

23 July 1863: The District of St Mary’s was established under the War Department, comprising St Mary’s county in Maryland, detached from the Department of the Potomac.

23 July 1863: Brigadier-General Gilman Marston assumed command of the District of St Mary’s.

2 December 1863: The District of St Mary’s transferred from the War Department to the Department of Virginia and North Carolina.

2 December 1863: The District of St Mary’s transferred from the War Department to the Department of Virginia and North Carolina. It comprised the county of St Mary’s in Maryland and the Point Lookout prison camp.

2 December 1863: Brigadier-General Gilman Marston retained command of the District of St Mary’s.

3 April 1864: Brigadier-General Edward Winslow Hinks assumed command of the District of St Mary’s, succeeding Brigadier-General Gilman Marston.

20 April 1864: Colonel Alonzo Granville Draper assumed command of the District of St Mary’s, succeeding Brigadier-General Edward Winslow Hinks.

7 July 1864: The District of St Mary’s transferred from the Department of Virginia and North Carolina to the Department of Washington. It comprised the county of St Mary’s in Maryland and the Point Lookout prison camp.

7 July 1864: Brigadier-General James Barnes assumed command of the District of St Mary’s, succeeding Colonel Alonzo Granville Draper.

26 April 1865: The District of St Mary’s was discontinued.

(Military) District of Washington, District of Columbia

12 March 1862-2 August 1865

James Samuel Wadsworth 12 March 1862-7 September 1862

Nathaniel Prentiss Banks 7 September 1862-27 October 1862

Samuel Peter Heintzelman 27 October 1862-2 February 1863

John Henry Martindale 2 February 1863-2 May 1864

Moses N Wisewell 2 May 1864–26 April 1865

Orlando Bolivar Willcox 26 April 1865-2 August 1865

12 March 1862: The Military District of Washington was established as an independent command under the War Department, comprising the District of Columbia, Alexandria in Virginia, and Port Washington, District of Columbia.

12 March 1862: Brigadier-General James Samuel Wadsworth assumed command of the Military District of Washington.

4 April 1862: The Military District of Washington transferred to the Department of the Rappahannock.

4 April 1862: Brigadier-General James Samuel Wadsworth retained command of the Military District of Washington

26 June 1862: The Military District of Washington transferred from the Department of the Rappahannock to the War Department.

26 June 1862: Brigadier-General James Samuel Wadsworth retained command of the Military District of Washington.

7 September 1862: Major-General Nathaniel Prentiss Banks assumed command of the Military District of Washington, succeeding Brigadier-General James Samuel Wadsworth.

27 October 1862: Major-General Samuel Peter Heintzelman assumed command of the Military District of Washington, succeeding Major-General Nathaniel Prentiss Banks.

2 February 1863: The Military District of Washington was discontinued, and its territory incorporated into the District of Washington.

2 February 1863: The District of Washington was established in the Department of Washington, comprising the territory formerly under the authority of the Military District of Washington.

2 February 1863: Brigadier-General John Henry Martindale assumed command of the District of Washington.

2 May 1864: Colonel Moses N Wisewell assumed command of the District of Washington, succeeding John Henry Martindale.

26 April 1865: The District of Washington was reorganised to include the part of the Department of Washington north of the Potomac River except the city of Washington and the territory between the Potomac and Patuxent Rivers south of the Piscataway River.

26 April 1865: Brigadier-General Orlando Bolivar Willcox assumed command of the District of Washington, succeeding Colonel Moses N Wisewell.

18 May 1865: The District of the Northern Neck was discontinued, and its territory transferred to the District of Washington.

2 August 1865: The District of Washington was discontinued.

IX Corps Washington

24 April 1865-27 July 1865

John Grubb Parke 24 April 1865-7 June 1865

Orlando Bolivar Willcox temporary 7 June 1865-26 June 1865

John Grubb Parke 26 June 1865-27 July 1865

24 April 1865: IX Corps Potomac transferred from the Army of the Potomac to the Department of Washington.

24 April 1865: Major-General John Grubb Parke retained command of IX Corps Washington.

7 June 1865: Brigadier-General Orlando Bolivar Willcox assumed temporary command of IX Corps Washington, succeeding Major-General John Grubb Parke.

26 June 1865: Major-General John Grubb Parke assumed command of IX Corps Washington, succeeding Brigadier-General Orlando Bolivar Willcox.

27 July 1865: IX Corps Washington was discontinued.

XXII Corps Washington

2 February 1863-26 June 1865

Samuel Peter Heintzelman 2 February 1863-13 October 1863

Christopher Columbus Augur 13 October 1863-26 April 1865

John Grubb Parke 26 April 1865-26 June 1865

2 February 1863: XXII Corps Washington was established in the Department of Washington.

2 February 1863: Major-General Samuel Peter Heintzelman assumed command of XXII Corps Washington.

13 October 1863: Major-General Christopher Columbus Augur assumed command of XXII Corps Washington, succeeding Major-General Samuel Peter Heintzelman.

26 April 1865: Major-General John Grubb Parke assumed command of XXII Corps Washington, succeeding Major-General Christopher Columbus Augur.

26 June 1865: XXII Corps Washington was discontinued.

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close