March 3 1861 Sunday
District of Columbia. Union General-in Chief Major-General Winfield Scott, Colonel Edwin Vose Sumner, and Colonel Charles Pomeroy Stone planned the military protection of the procession for the Presidential inauguration of Abraham Lincoln. All available Regular Army and volunteer units were deployed with the procession and to guard key points along the route, the Capitol, and the White House.
South Carolina. Confederate Brigadier-General Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard was ordered to Charleston to take command of the operations against Fort Sumter.
South Carolina. Union Major-General Winfield Scott completed his assessment of the situation at Fort Sumter and concluded that any relief attempt would be impracticable.
Commander in Chief: President James Buchanan
Vice-President: John Cabell Breckinridge
Secretary of War: Joseph Holt
Secretary of the Navy: Isaac Toucey
- African Squadron USN: Captain William Inman USN
- Brazil Squadron USN: Captain Joshua R Sands USN.
- East Indian (Asiatic) Squadron USN: Captain Cornelius K Stribling USN
- European Squadron USN: vacant
- Home Squadron USN: Captain Garrett J Prendergast USN
- Mediterranean Squadron USN: Captain Charles H Bell USN
- Pacific Squadron USN: Captain John B Montgomery USN
General–in-Chief: Winfield Scott
- Department of the East: John Ellis Wool
- Department of New Mexico: Thomas T Fauntleroy interim, William Wing Loring awaited
- Department of the Pacific: Albert Sidney Johnston
- District of Oregon: George Wright
- Department of Texas: Carlos Adolphus Waite
- Department of Utah: Philip St George Cooke
- Department of the West: William Selby Harney
CSA: The Department of South Carolina was established.
CSA: The Forces in Charleston was established, comprising the forces in and around Charleston, South Carolina.
CSA: Brigadier-General Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard was appointed to command the Department of South Carolina, and the Forces in Charleston, arriving on 6th March 1861.
Beauregard, Pierre Gustave Toutant / Louisiana / Born 28 May 1818 St Bernard, Louisiana / Died New Orleans, Louisiana 20 February 1893
USMA 1 July 1838 2/45 Artillery-Engineers / Cadet USMA 1 July 1834 / 2nd Lieutenant USA 1st US Artillery 1 July 1838 / Engineers 7 July 1838 / 1st Lieutenant USA 16 June 1839 / Chief Engineer US Army in Mexico 1847 / Captain USA Engineers 3 March 1853 / Superintendent USMA 23 January 1861-28 January 1861 / Resigned USA 20 February 1861 / Brigadier-General ACSA 1 March 1861 / General ACSA 31 August 1861 to rank from 21 July 1861 / Paroled Greensboro, North Carolina 2 May 1865 / Brevet Captain USA 20 August 1847 / WIA Chapultepec 13 September 1847 Brevet Major USA 13 September 1847
Department of South Carolina 3 March 1861-27 May 1861 / Forces in Charleston (Defences of Charleston) 3 March 1861-27 May 1861 / Department of the Potomac 31 May 1861-2 June 1861 / Alexandria Line 2 June 1861-20 June 1861 / Army of the Potomac 20 June 1862-19 July 1861 / I Corps Potomac 21 July 1861-14 March 1862 / District of the Potomac 22 October 1861-29 January 1862 / Army of Mississippi 5 March 1862-29 March 1862 / Western Department 6 April 1862-26 June 1862 / Army of Mississippi 6 April 1862-6 May 1862 / Department of South Carolina and Georgia 29 August 1862-7 October 1862 / Department of South Carolina Georgia and Florida 7 October 1862-18 April 1864 / Department of North Carolina and Southern Virginia 18 April 1864-14 May 1864 / Department of North Carolina and Southern Virginia 20 May 1864-27 September 1864 / Defences of Drewry’s Bluff 14 May 1864-20 May 1864 / Defences of Petersburg 27 September 1864-1 October 1864 / Military Division of the West 3 October 1864-April 1865 / 16 December 1864 / Chief of Staff Department of North Carolina and Southern Virginia 27 February 1865-26 April 1865 / Chief of Staff Department of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida 27 February 1865-26 April 1865 / Chief of Staff Department of Tennessee 27 February 1865-26 April 1865 / Army of Tennessee 14 January 1865-22 January 1865
Commander in Chief: President Jefferson Finis Davis
Vice-President: Alexander Hamilton Stephens
Secretary of War: Leroy Pope Walker
Secretary of the Navy: Stephen Russell Mallory
- “Department of Louisiana”: Braxton Bragg
- “Forces in New Orleans” “Army of Louisiana”: Braxton Bragg
- Department of South Carolina established: Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard awaited
- “Forces in Charleston” established: Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard awaited
John Ellis Wool
David Emanuel Twiggs
Brigadier-General USA (Staff)
Joseph Eggleston Johnston
Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard