March 27 1861 Wednesday
Dakota Territory. William Jayne became Governor of Dakota Territory.
Florida. Reconnaissance at Santa Rosa Island began.
Louisiana. The Louisiana state convention adjourned, without setting a day for reassembling.
Missouri. The Missouri House passed a resolution that it was inexpedient for the Missouri General Assembly to take any steps calling a National Convention to propose amendments to the United States Constitution, as recommended by the Missouri state convention.
Commander in Chief: President Abraham Lincoln
Vice-President: Hannibal Hamlin
Secretary of War: Simon Cameron
Secretary of the Navy: Gideon Welles
- African Squadron USN: Captain William Inman USN
- Brazil Squadron USN: Captain Joshua R Sands USN.
- East Indian (Asiatic) Squadron USN: Captain Cornelius K Stribling USN
- European Squadron USN: vacant
- Home Squadron USN: Captain Garrett J Prendergast USN
- Mediterranean Squadron USN: Captain Charles H Bell USN
- Pacific Squadron USN: Captain John B Montgomery USN
General–in-Chief: Winfield Scott
- Department of the East: John Ellis Wool
- Department of New Mexico: William Wing Loring
- Department of the Pacific: Albert Sidney Johnston interim, Edwin Vose Sumner awaited
- District of Oregon: George Wright
- Department of Texas: Carlos Adolphus Waite
- Department of Utah: Philip St George Cooke
- Department of the West: William Selby Harney
CSA: Colonel Lucius Bellinger Northrop appointed Commissary General of Subsistence.
Northrop, Lucius Bellinger | South Carolina | Born 8 September 1811 Charleston, South Carolina | USMA 1831 22/33 Infantry – Dragoons | 7th US Infantry 1st US Dragoons 2nd Lieutenant USA 1st US Dragoons 21 July 1834 1st Lieutenant USA 1st US Dragoons 4 July 1836 Dropped from Rolls 8 January 1848 1st Lieutenant USA 1st US Dragoons 4 July 1836 Captain USA 1st US Dragoons 21 July 1848 Resigned USA 8 January 1861 Colonel PACS Commissary General 27 March 1861 Brigadier-General PACS (Special) Commissary General November 26 1864 unconfirmed Relieved February 15 1865 | WIA Seminole War 1835 | Died 9 February 1894 | 27 March 19861- 15 February 1865 Commissary-Genera; of Subsistence
Commander in Chief: President Jefferson Finis Davis
Vice-President: Alexander Hamilton Stephens
Secretary of War: Leroy Pope Walker
Secretary of the Navy: Stephen Russell Mallory
- “Department of Louisiana”: David Emanuel Twiggs
- “Forces in New Orleans” “Army of Louisiana”: Braxton Bragg
- Department of South Carolina: Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard
- “Forces in Charleston”: Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard
- Department of West Florida: Braxton Bragg
- “Forces in Pensacola”: Braxton Bragg
- Major-General USA Winfield Scott 5 July 1841 to rank from 25 June 1841 General-in-Chief
- Brigadier-General USA John Ellis Wool 25 June 1841 Department of the East
- Brigadier-General USA William Selby Harney 14 June 1858 Department of the West
- Brigadier-General USA Joseph Eggleston Johnston 28 June 1860 Quartermaster-General
- Brigadier-General USA Edwin Vose Sumner 16 March 1861 Department of the Pacific awaited
- Colonel George Wright 3 March 1855 District of Oregon
- Colonel Albert Sidney Johnston 3 March 1855 Department of the Pacific interim
- Colonel William Wing Loring 30 December 1856 Department of New Mexico
- Colonel Philip St George Cooke 14 June 1858 Department of Utah
- Colonel Carlos Adolphus Waite 5 June 1860 Department of Texas temporary
- Major-General PACS David Emanuel Twiggs 22 March 1861 Department of Louisiana
- Brigadier-General ACSA Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard 1 March 1861 Department of South Carolina & Forces in South Carolina
- Brigadier-General ACSA Braxton Bragg 7 March 1861 Department of West Florida & Forces in Louisiana & Forces in Pensacola