March 27 1861 Wednesday
Dakota Territory. William Jayne became Governor of Dakota Territory.
Florida. Reconnaissance at Santa Rosa Island began.
Louisiana. The Louisiana State Convention adjourned without setting a day for reassembling.
Missouri. The Missouri House passed a resolution that it was inexpedient for the Missouri General Assembly to call a National Convention to propose amendments to the United States Constitution, as recommended by the Missouri state convention.
Commander in Chief: President Abraham Lincoln
Vice-President: Hannibal Hamlin
Secretary of War: Simon Cameron
Secretary of the Navy: Gideon Welles
- African Squadron USN: Captain William Inman USN
- Brazil Squadron USN: Captain Joshua R Sands USN.
- East Indian (Asiatic) Squadron USN: Captain Cornelius K Stribling USN
- European Squadron USN: vacant
- Home Squadron USN: Captain Garrett J Prendergast USN
- Mediterranean Squadron USN: Captain Charles H Bell USN
- Pacific Squadron USN: Captain John B Montgomery USN
General–in-Chief: Winfield Scott
- Department of the East: John Ellis Wool
- Department of New Mexico: William Wing Loring
- Department of the Pacific: Albert Sidney Johnston interim, Edwin Vose Sumner awaited
- District of Oregon: George Wright
- Department of Texas: Carlos Adolphus Waite
- Department of Utah: Philip St George Cooke
- Department of the West: William Selby Harney
Commander in Chief: President Jefferson Finis Davis
Vice-President: Alexander Hamilton Stephens
Secretary of War: Leroy Pope Walker
Secretary of the Navy: Stephen Russell Mallory
- “Department of Louisiana”: David Emanuel Twiggs
- “Forces in New Orleans” “Army of Louisiana”: Braxton Bragg
- Department of South Carolina: Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard
- “Forces in Charleston”: Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard
- Department of West Florida: Braxton Bragg
- “Forces in Pensacola”: Braxton Bragg
John Ellis Wool
William Selby Harney
Edwin Vose Sumner
Brigadier-General USA (Staff)
Joseph Eggleston Johnston
David Emanuel Twiggs
Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard