March 20 1861 Wednesday
CSA. The Confederate States government discussed the relocation of the capital from Montgomery, Alabama, to Richmond, Virginia.
Florida. The sloop Isabel, carrying supplies for the US fleet, was seized off Pensacola by Florida state authorities.
Georgia. The state of Georgia passed an ordinance authorising the Confederate States government to occupy, use, and possess all military forts, navy yards, arsenals, and custom houses within the limits of the state.
Texas. Fort Brown was abandoned by US troops under Lieutenant-Colonel Electus Backus (3rd US Infantry).
Texas. Fort Duncan was abandoned by Union forces under Captain O L Shepherd (3rd US Infantry).
Texas. The Texas state legislature confirmed the action of the Texas Convention in deposing Governor Samuel Houston. The legislature also transferred the forts, arsenals, and other military facilities in the state to the Confederate government.
Commander in Chief: President Abraham Lincoln
Vice-President: Hannibal Hamlin
Secretary of War: Simon Cameron
Secretary of the Navy: Gideon Welles
- African Squadron USN: Captain William Inman USN
- Brazil Squadron USN: Captain Joshua R Sands USN.
- East Indian (Asiatic) Squadron USN: Captain Cornelius K Stribling USN
- European Squadron USN: vacant
- Home Squadron USN: Captain Garrett J Prendergast USN
- Mediterranean Squadron USN: Captain Charles H Bell USN
- Pacific Squadron USN: Captain John B Montgomery USN
General–in-Chief: Winfield Scott
- Department of the East: John Ellis Wool
- Department of New Mexico: Thomas T Fauntleroy interim, William Wing Loring awaited
- Department of the Pacific: Albert Sidney Johnston
- District of Oregon: George Wright
- Department of Texas: Carlos Adolphus Waite
- Department of Utah: Philip St George Cooke
- Department of the West: William Selby Harney
Commander in Chief: President Jefferson Finis Davis
Vice-President: Alexander Hamilton Stephens
Secretary of War: Leroy Pope Walker
Secretary of the Navy: Stephen Russell Mallory
- “Department of Louisiana”: Braxton Bragg
- “Forces in New Orleans” “Army of Louisiana”: Braxton Bragg
- Department of South Carolina: Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard
- “Forces in Charleston”: Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard
- Department of West Florida: Braxton Bragg
- “Forces in Pensacola”: Braxton Bragg
John Ellis Wool
David Emanuel Twiggs
Edwin Vose Sumner
Brigadier-General USA (Staff)
Joseph Eggleston Johnston
Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard