January 7 1861 Monday
Alabama. The Alabama state convention met to discuss matters of secession.
Florida. The Florida state convention received Commissioners from South Carolina and Alabama.
Florida. The US Arsenal and Fort Marion at St Augustine were seized by Florida state troops.
Georgia. The US Arsenal at Chattahoochee was seized by the state authorities with 500,000 rounds of musket cartridges, 300,000 rifle cartridges, and 50,000 pounds of gunpowder but no arms.
Mississippi. The Mississippi state convention met to discuss matters of secession.
New Mexico Territory. Fort Fauntleroy was abandoned.
Tennessee. The Tennessee legislature met to discuss matters of secession.
Virginia. The Virginia state legislature met to discuss matters of secession.
Commander in Chief: President James Buchanan
Vice-President: John Cabell Breckinridge
Secretary of War: Joseph Holt
Secretary of the Navy: Isaac Toucey
- African Squadron USN: Captain William Inman USN
- Brazil Squadron USN: Captain Joshua R Sands USN.
- East Indian (Asiatic) Squadron USN: Captain Cornelius K Stribling USN
- European Squadron USN: vacant
- Home Squadron USN: Captain Garrett J Prendergast USN
- Mediterranean Squadron USN: Captain Charles H Bell USN
- Pacific Squadron USN: Captain John B Montgomery USN
General–in-Chief: Winfield Scott
- Department of California: Benjamin Lloyd Beall temporary
- Department of the East: John Ellis Wool
- Department of New Mexico: Thomas Turner Fauntleroy
- Department of Oregon: George Wright
- Department of Texas: David Emanuel Twiggs
- Department of Utah: Philip St George Cooke
- Department of the West: William Selby Harney
John Ellis Wool
David Emanuel Twiggs
William Selby Harney
Brigadier-General USA (Staff)
Joseph Eggleston Johnston