January 24 1861 Thursday
Georgia. The state of Georgia elected delegates to the Southern Congress at Montgomery, Alabama.
Georgia. The US Arsenal in Augusta was seized by 700 men of the 1st Georgia Militia led by Colonel Alexander Robert Lawton. The Arsenal contained two 12-pound howitzers, two other cannons, 22,000 muskets and rifles, and large stores of powder and artillery ammunition.
Virginia. Reinforcements for the Federal garrison at Fort Pickens, Florida, set sail from Fort Monroe.
Commander in Chief: President James Buchanan
Vice-President: John Cabell Breckinridge
Secretary of War: Joseph Holt
Secretary of the Navy: Isaac Toucey
- African Squadron USN: Captain William Inman USN
- Brazil Squadron USN: Captain Joshua R Sands USN.
- East Indian (Asiatic) Squadron USN: Captain Cornelius K Stribling USN
- European Squadron USN: vacant
- Home Squadron USN: Captain Garrett J Prendergast USN
- Mediterranean Squadron USN: Captain Charles H Bell USN
- Pacific Squadron USN: Captain John B Montgomery USN
General–in-Chief: Winfield Scott
- Department of the East: John Ellis Wool
- Department of New Mexico: Thomas Turner Fauntleroy interim, William Wing Loring awaited
- Department of the Pacific: Albert Sidney Johnston
- District of Oregon: George Wright
- Department of Texas: David Emanuel Twiggs
- Department of Utah: Philip St George Cooke
- Department of the West: William Selby Harney
John Ellis Wool
David Emanuel Twiggs
William Selby Harney
Brigadier-General USA (Staff)
Joseph Eggleston Johnston