February 9 1861 Saturday
Jefferson Finis Davis elected provisional President of the Confederate States
Alexander Hamilton Stephens elected provisional Vice-President of the Confederate States
CSA. The provisional government of the Confederate States of America unanimously elected Jefferson Finis Davis, a West Point graduate and a former US Army officer and Secretary of War from Mississippi, to be the President of the Confederate States of America.
CSA. Alexander Hamilton Stephens of Georgia was elected Vice-President of the Confederate States.
Florida. USS Brooklyn arrived off Pensacola. Troops were not landed at Fort Pickens in compliance with an interim agreement with Florida officials in which the status quo would be maintained. Fort Barrancas and Fort McRae and Pensacola Navy Yard remained in Confederate hands while the Union-held Fort Pickens on Santa Rosa Island. USS Brooklyn, USS Sabine, USS Macedonia and USS St Louis remained off the harbour, until reinforcements were put ashore at Fort Pickens on 17th April.
Kansas. Charles Robinson became Governor of Kansas in succession to the Territorial Governor, George M Bebee.
Tennessee. Tennessee state authorities refused to call a convention to address the question of secession.
Texas. US Brigadier-General David Emanuel Twiggs appointed a military commission to meet the commissioners of Texas to negotiate the transfer of military posts and property. Twiggs was the third-highest ranking officer in the US Army and commanded the Department of Texas.
Commander in Chief: President James Buchanan
Vice-President: John Cabell Breckinridge
Secretary of War: Joseph Holt
Secretary of the Navy: Isaac Toucey
- African Squadron USN: Captain William Inman USN
- Brazil Squadron USN: Captain Joshua R Sands USN.
- East Indian (Asiatic) Squadron USN: Captain Cornelius K Stribling USN
- European Squadron USN: vacant
- Home Squadron USN: Captain Garrett J Prendergast USN
- Mediterranean Squadron USN: Captain Charles H Bell USN
- Pacific Squadron USN: Captain John B Montgomery USN
General–in-Chief: Winfield Scott
- Department of the Pacific: Albert Sidney Johnston
- District of Oregon: George Wright
- Department of the East: John Ellis Wool
- Department of New Mexico: Thomas Turner Fauntleroy
- Department of Texas: David Emanuel Twiggs
- Department of Utah: Philip St George Cooke
- Department of the West: William Selby Harney
President: Thomas Howell Cobb (interim)
Vice-President: Alexander Hamilton Stephens
John Ellis Wool
David Emanuel Twiggs
William Selby Harney
Brigadier-General USA (Staff)
Joseph Eggleston Johnston