February 21 1861 Thursday
CSA. The Confederate Cabinet was chosen at Montgomery, Alabama. President Jefferson Finis Davis proposed the following members, seeking to represent all of the seceded states:
Judah Philip Benjamin, Louisiana – Attorney General
Stephen Russell Mallory, Florida – Secretary of Navy
Christopher G Memminger, South Carolina – Secretary of the Treasury
John H Reagan, Texas – Postmaster General
Robert Augustus Toombs, Georgia – Secretary of State
Leroy Pope Walker, Alabama – Secretary of War
CSA. The Provisional Confederate Government authorised and established the creation of the War Department and the Navy Department to direct the military forces of the Army of the Confederate States.
Georgia. Three New York ships were seized at Savannah by order of the Georgia governor in retaliation against the confiscation of military cargo by New York state authorities in January.
Texas. Camp Cooper was abandoned by US troops.
Texas. The US post at Brazos Santiago was seized by Texas state forces.
Commander in Chief: President James Buchanan
Vice-President: John Cabell Breckinridge
Secretary of War: Joseph Holt
Secretary of the Navy: Isaac Toucey
- African Squadron USN: Captain William Inman USN
- Brazil Squadron USN: Captain Joshua R Sands USN.
- East Indian (Asiatic) Squadron USN: Captain Cornelius K Stribling USN
- European Squadron USN: vacant
- Home Squadron USN: Captain Garrett J Prendergast USN
- Mediterranean Squadron USN: Captain Charles H Bell USN
- Pacific Squadron USN: Captain John B Montgomery USN
General–in-Chief: Winfield Scott
- Department of the East: John Ellis Wool
- Department of New Mexico: Thomas Turner Fauntleroy interim, William Wing Loring awaited
- Department of the Pacific: Albert Sidney Johnston
- District of Oregon: George Wright
- Department of Texas: Carlos Adolphus Waite temporary
- Department of Utah: Philip St George Cooke
- Department of the West: William Selby Harney
President: Jefferson Finis Davis
Vice-President: Alexander Hamilton Stephens
Secretary of War: Leroy Pope Walker
Secretary of the Navy: Stephen Russell Mallory
John Ellis Wool
David Emanuel Twiggs
William Selby Harney
Brigadier-General USA (Staff)
Joseph Eggleston Johnston